Thursday, December 14, 2006

Season of Lights


Megan and I are firm believers in traditions. It is our great desire to pass down wonderful, meaningful, and Biblical traditions to Abram and other future children of ours. As we approach the holidays, we have continued to think and pray about what traditions are important to us during this wonderful season. Though we desire an implementation of certain ideas and symbols from the Feast of Dedication (Hanukkah), we want to see them fused with aspects of giving, and thankfulness for our Redeemer (the ideas from Christmas that we grew up with). All that being said, there is one tradition that I want to do that embraces the symbolic beauty of the entire season. I have decided that I want to put lights up on our house every year. Everyone seems to appreciate the work that goes into such an endeavor (I do), and we all certainly find joy in the beauty. It is a festive symbol of the ONE AND ONLY light of salvation in this fallen world, Yeshua (Jesus). It can be a beautiful reminder for neighbors and pedestrians.

I recently heard a radio broadcast on which a mailman called in to discuss his observations of house decorating. It was truly saddening. The gentlemen said that of the large number of people who decorated their houses for Halloween, only a third of those same houses were decorated for the holidays. These are sad findings, yet indicative of our society today. This time of year has been so secularized because of political correctness and anti-Christianity, that I believe people are either afraid to "offend", or they have lost an appreciation for what this season celebrates (that being Yeshua). Ultimately, this erosion has damaged some of the wonderful joys of the holidays, like lit-up houses.

So lets thank our neighbors who put in the effort (even if it is a little over the top). They are sharing their joy with us.

Let us be thankful for this "Season of Lights."

No comments: