
Ok, I have a take on the Baby Einstein product line. There can be no doubt that the company as a whole has some redeeming attributes. For those of you who don't know, Baby Einstein promotes early childhood development using audio and visual stimulation. It has become a big hit. There is a wide range of products, everything from toys to music cds. Sounds good so far, right?
Well here is where I have a problem. The centerpiece of this relatively new company is their videos and DVD's. They are intended to encourage development in a child's cognition of colors, shapes, sounds, etc. I have observed some of them and they seem harmless and fun at first glance. The testimonials of their success is what is troubling. Parents swear by their effectiveness in occupying their young child. Many have reported their children being glued to the t.v. screen in an almost hypnotic state. These are toddlers that they are talking about!! Their description of these boob-tube sessions are described humorously, almost as if they are pleased that they can have a break from the now zombie-like child! Do these parents realize what kind of a seed they are planting?
The children are obtaining an early dependency on television to provide the entertainment and stimulation that they need. Our youngest generations are spending way too much time in front of t.v. and computer screens already. Is this new approach to early childhood development going to help this already catastrophic problem?
Listen, I am all for many of their other products. The toys are fantastic, as are their audio CD's. In fact, Megan and I have registered for many of these things for our own child. It is the idea of plopping my young baby down in front of the t.v. that I am against. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN! We will provide the needed developmental stimulation in other ways. So as tempted as you may be, refrain from purchasing the videos and DVD's for us. You will be wasting your money!
Peace out!
No comments:
Post a Comment